Monday, December 21, 2009

The Dentist

So today I had my first experience with the German health care system. I went to the dentist.

I'm not really the kind of person who dreads going to the dentist. In fact, I actually like a good tooth cleaning. I attribute my attitude to good genetics. Now going to the orthodontist is another story entirely...

I don't know how this is possible in the western world, but I went to the dentist today and had little more done to my teeth than an x-ray and a visual check up. The visual checkup consisted of me opening my mouth and the dentist saying numbers and commenting on the condition of my teeth.

Yep...no teeth cleaning.

I left the dentist today feeling a bit cheated.

According to my husband, the dentist only cleans your teeth if that's necessary. Since I have had my teeth cleaned every six months for as long as I have had teeth to clean, they apparently didn't need to be cleaned.

So either I have very good dental hygiene or my dentist is lazy. I can't decide.

Okay, so I don't think she is lazy. The dentist was very nice and really seemed to know what she was talking about. I think this is probably just normal practice in Germany. According to my husband, you are only encouraged to go to the dentist once a year. He did tell my that next time I can ask them to clean my teeth even if they don't think it is necessary.

On a positive note, I didn't have to pay a dime.

Thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. Okay, you need to start quoting me correctly. I said you should go to the dentist twice a year...

    ReplyDelete